Crabtopia build journal

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Moe2076

Re: Crabtopia build journal

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Not shown in the pictures are the couple of times I took some boards out and re-screwed them to make them tighter. Also not pictured are a couple boards I just decided I didn't like and cut a new ones.

Mistake 1: I put that drop cloth down to start and it was a mistake. I also didn't really use a level when I built the frame and so it's kinda 1/8 inch off on 1 corner (hopefully I can match that to my crooked floor and then it will all work out! Otherwise I will shim it up to be level.)

Mistake 2: I cut 4 posts at 24 inches then measured and realized I didn't want 17 inch supports on sides and 18 in between up top and so I cut 4 more supports an inch longer and then all my support boards were the same.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:31 am

Looking really good!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:09 pm

I went down in the basement to look for paint/stain supplies and found the original can of stain that the ottoman on wheels has on it! We are off to Lowes to see if I can find more it!
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 pm

It's getting really close now. As this project has evolved I have been able to somehow temper my impatience with the knowledge that I want it done right the best way possible. That and after just so long I get tired and decide to come back another day.

I wanted the outer covering boards to look really good and I should have been picky the first time and sprung for the expensive sanded oak. Instead I bought 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood only to discover that I wasn't satisfied with either long piece and Lowes won't return cut lumber. So back for the oak I went. And I have lots of leftover wood for functional non cosmetic projects in the future.

Also be very mindful before cutting, and mark and cut the bad/not front facing side. Rough edges are inevitable and can be sanded later.

Use a guide for any kind of cutting you need or it will likely be crooked no matter how straight/steady your hands are.

I tested both the old and new stain on both types of wood, so far looks good.

I have a hinge hole cutting kit and watched a few tutorials and plan to test cut a hole before attaching the doors.

1 more piece of wood to sand then adding doors and staining before attaching side /front panel.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 am

I love that color! It looks nice. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Looking great! I'm actually quite interested to see what you will end up doing under the tank.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Wow, the stand looks really impressive!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Adopted 2 crabs yesterday tiny and a small and because I was near the best (least poorly cared for) big box pet store that has the healthiest crabs I have found in a 150 mile radius of this podunk I live in... I "rescued" 4 more. 1 large and 3 medium.ImageImageImage

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Today I sanded my last piece and started the stainingImage

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:44 pm

2 down, 4 to goImage

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:41 pm

Looking good!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Got some more pieces stained. I'm thinking of leaving the door unstained, I kind like the contrast.ImageImageImage

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Almost there... almost there!ImageImageImageImage

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:56 am

Oh! I like the contrast too! That looks great! Amazing job!

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:38 pm

I had to take an unexpected trip to Nashville yesterday so my wife could get an MRI. (she had a seizure and is a brain tumor survivor, Dr called back today and she is fine thank goodness) We took the time to return some things we didn't need to pet stores. The aquarium store where my 1st 2 came from had a nice huge piece of cholla I had to have! They also had a nice big crab and 2 teenies and a couple of interesting looking mediums that followed me home!

The last of my shells came yesterday too so after I set up the new ones in a tote I was boiling water and shells, and soaking wood. I bought a tackle box to hold my shells today and now I am going to put the finishing touches on the stand and start setting up the tank.

I figure as long as I get the stand placed and level, the tank cleaned and the egg crate installed in the back and sides then I can mix sub and add dishes and then start bathing and introducing crabs to it, I can get the aesthetics and all the pretty details worked out later. I have a hamster wheel I can zip tie to the egg crate. I should order more coconut huts... I've got a good supply of Tupperware dishes, I need to make 2 more water dishes with canvas mesh zip tied to it, and add a moss pit. The wood needs baking but I need to babysit that so it will come later. OOO I get to transfer everything from the 20 gallon to the 75, that's a lot less work! 2 coco huts and food and water dishes in there already I can use! I'll try to remember to stop and take pictures along the way and post when I'm tired later on.

My head is spinning still but not quite as much as when I was building the 40 so that is good. Please do post ideas or reminders if I am forgetting anything.
I decided I want the tank away from the wall about 24 inches, I just want to be able to get to it from every side, I'll deal with the wire management later, I mean I have a bunch of zip ties and duck tape... OOO the heaters go on first 1 long on back, and 2 on the sides, then the egg crate then then sub.... LOL