What is this?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

What is this?

Post by Julsie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:13 am

So I’m changing the water bowls and cleaning them and when I removed them I discovered this substance against the tank wall and I don’t know what it is. Could it have formed because of the UTH being placed there?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: What is this?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 am

I would guess it's some kind of mold. Mold likes warm/moist environments. The spores were probably nice and warm up against the uth, and moist from any water overflow from the pools.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 am

Is it solid?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:28 am

Looks like the hardwater build up I get on the glass lid on my fish tank, I also get it by the crab pools. Usually lift them out with a spoon.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 am

If those giant white things aren't rocks or sand then it's mold. If they are rocks or sand then it's hard water residue.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:23 pm

I had something that looked similar...Wode helped me out with it!

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=121640&p=1090119#p1090119
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 pm

It looks like dried sea salt

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:17 pm

I get dried sea salt where my uth is. But it's not that thick, I'm able to scrape it off with a chopstick. Is this the first time you've noticed it?
8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:I get dried sea salt where my uth is. But it's not that thick, I'm able to scrape it off with a chopstick. Is this the first time you've noticed it?
Yes

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Julsie wrote: Yes

If you change your water every few days and this is the first time you've seen it then I don't think it would be dried salt or any water stain really. Honestly I have no idea. It doesn't really look like any mold I've seen either.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Did you check out the link to the post I made? Part of Wode's reply:

However, playsand does contain limestone, which is calcium based. RO water would easily dissolve limestone, and the evaporation effect around the UTH would cause it to concentrate in that area. It could certain be or contain the salt mix from the pools, but I still think it's likely from the substrate instead.

And yes, you can just pop it off and discard it when it gets bad! Anything stuck to the glass should come off easily with a razor blade or vinegar. (Once the UTH has been off for a little while so there isn't a temperature difference in the glass.)

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:36 pm

curlysister wrote:Did you check out the link to the post I made? Part of Wode's reply:

However, playsand does contain limestone, which is calcium based. RO water would easily dissolve limestone, and the evaporation effect around the UTH would cause it to concentrate in that area. It could certain be or contain the salt mix from the pools, but I still think it's likely from the substrate instead.

And yes, you can just pop it off and discard it when it gets bad! Anything stuck to the glass should come off easily with a razor blade or vinegar. (Once the UTH has been off for a little while so there isn't a temperature difference in the glass.)
Yes I did. I only have EE for substrate not mixed with any playsand.