Why Chirping so much?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Why Chirping so much?

Post by Plasmoc » Sat May 09, 2020 11:17 pm

We’ve had King Crab for several years and I’ve probably heard him chirp 3 times before. He’s been up from molting for about 1.5 weeks and he’s been chirping a ton! At least 10 times over the last week. Do crabs really only chirp when upset?

Background: He had 2 small crab tank mates but they both got sick and died (not at the same time). He’s been alone since June. He appears strong and healthy, has a good setup with the appropriate substrate, climbing & hiding spots, a walking wheel, good diet, salt water and fresh water, 7 shells, and as said above he recently molted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

Re: Why Chirping so much?

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:26 pm

I mean I would think he’s chirping because he maybe lonely but I don’t know for sure maybe one of the experts would be able to help you more sorry LOL

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm

We don't really know all the reasons why hermit crabs chirp. Most of the time we associate it with stress. I think wodesorel mention she had several molters chirp back and forth while underground for days!

If you hear chirping it is something to investigate. If you don't see anything that seems like it would be an issue I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Your crab/s just decided to be vocal!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun May 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Yep! I had a molt ISO going of rescued crabs and they talked to each other underground every night for almost two months. Heck, I had one come up from molting who would chirp every time I walked past the tank for 3.5 weeks. He did it that one time, and then was quiet ever after. Crabs are weird!

I do always suggest going over the tank and conditions if they start chirping out of nowhere. Something may be bothering them or scaring them. If everything checks out good though, I would wait it out for a bit and see what happens.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:07 pm

Here's something @curlysister wrote in another post. It makes me laugh every time I read it!

"I have never heard mine chirp either, I don't think. Maybe once. It's okay if they don't.
My sister had a co-worker who had her tank at their workplace - one of the crabs liked to chirp. One day, it picked up a shell and yelled at it for like an hour, then put it down. LOL."

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 10, 2020 9:47 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:07 pm
Here's something @curlysister wrote in another post. It makes me laugh every time I read it! Image

"I have never heard mine chirp either, I don't think. Maybe once. It's okay if they don't.
My sister had a co-worker who had her tank at their workplace - one of the crabs liked to chirp. One day, it picked up a shell and yelled at it for like an hour, then put it down. LOL."

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Must have been a case if mistaken identity.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sun May 10, 2020 11:46 pm

Haha thanks for the laugh

I went over all the parameters before posting and all the conditions look good. Maybe a bit scarce on climbing because I had to make room for the wheel. He walks on it for hours and seems to love it. The wheel isn’t new though, he had it for a couple months at least before molting.

He used to love sleeping in a high up container filled with the shells, but it’s suction cups stopped working so I just put the shells on the ground and I got the wheel instead and he seemed very happy. Maybe I’ll try to put a suction container full of his shells back in to see if he’s missing that.

Re loneliness - I hesitate to get a second crab right now because 1) pandemic and 2) I’m not sure how he’d tolerate a new crab. I don’t have space for a second full setup long-term if they didn’t get along.