Long drink

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Long drink

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 17, 2020 2:58 pm

He's taking a really long drink from the fresh water. You would think it would be so much easier to just walk down the ramp and drink up as much as he wanted. But he scoops water for 11 min. If you zoom in you can see how interesting the process is. He scoops with a claw, transfers to the big pincher, which then transfers to his "tongue". (I'm not sure what it's called). And sometimes he transfers straight from the claw. Sometimes both. Toward the end he starts using a different claw. Guess the 1st one got tired. But he went back to the first claw. I assume he recently came up from a molt. Check out his huge black fingernail tip.

https://youtu.be/oYiVY78mMRc
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Re: Long drink

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Crabs definitely don't do problem solving to find an easier way to do things! I guess that is why it takes them so long to discover new things added to the tank like hides and wheels. Even more proof the only explanation is......
"CRABS ARE WEIRD!"

On a general observation your cam takes really clear video. Is your camera inside or outside of the tank?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Long drink

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:41 pm
Crabs definitely don't do problem solving to find an easier way to do things! I guess that is why it takes them so long to discover new things added to the tank like hides and wheels. Even more proof the only explanation is......
"CRABS ARE WEIRD!"

On a general observation your cam takes really clear video. Is your camera inside or outside of the tank?
Inside the tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi