Is it safe to add more sand/substrate with crabs down?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
HermieCrabs

Is it safe to add more sand/substrate with crabs down?

Post by HermieCrabs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 pm

I've got two crabs under right now (only for 1-2 weeks so far) and a third that is getting ready to go down (eating a lot, especially cuttlebone and greensand). I had been planning to add more sand to their substrate and mix it in well, but that's obviously not an option right now.

Is it safe to add sand to the top of the layer, when I have crabs down? Will I crush their hiding spaces? Or should I just wait until they are all above ground, whenever that will be. Any advice/experience would be much appreciated. Thank you!

CrabbyLover77

Re: Is it safe to add more sand/substrate with crabs down?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:48 pm

HermieCrabs wrote:I've got two crabs under right now (only for 1-2 weeks so far) and a third that is getting ready to go down (eating a lot, especially cuttlebone and greensand). I had been planning to add more sand to their substrate and mix it in well, but that's obviously not an option right now.

Is it safe to add sand to the top of the layer, when I have crabs down? Will I crush their hiding spaces? Or should I just wait until they are all above ground, whenever that will be. Any advice/experience would be much appreciated. Thank you!
It's ok to add 1" of substrate every 24 hours. Just do not pat it down. Also, don't remove any large decor in the sand that could be holding up tunnels/caves. Just add the substrate around it. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
HermieCrabs

Re: Is it safe to add more sand/substrate with crabs down?

Post by HermieCrabs » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:55 am

Thank you! I will be very cautious and maybe only add a small layer over a few days. I had been meaning to add more before they went down - we had started out at five-six inches but as they started living in the tank it seemed like I needed to add more. They're small crabs so I think they have enough for this molting, but I wanted to err on the side of caution!